Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Yallo...What If I Gave It All

Every now and then, we have the blessing of meeting people who, as brief as the meeting may be, leave a lasting mark on our hearts.

Yallo David was such a person.
And today I found out the tragic news that Yallo was killed in a bus accident in Tanzania Sunday afternoon. I learned yesterday that no one had heard from him in the 24 hours since the accident and there was an uneasiness about how much time had passed. People all over the world stopped to lift up our friend. I dreamed about Yallo through the night, waking often, and I dreaded getting on the computer this morning. This morning, my inbox held a message from our missions pastor and the first words I saw were, "Yallo is with the Lord."

I met Yallo last October when I returned to South Africa on a mission trip. We partner with an amazing organization there, J-Life Ministries. Yallo was nearing the end of training in the J-Life program and was preparing to return to his home country of Kenya. He would become the J-Life country leader for Kenya, even at such a young age. Just one indication of his leadership abilities and his heart for the Lord.

Having the opportunity to return to J-Life a year after first stepping foot in Africa, I was so looking forward to reuniting with dear friends last fall. I was initially disappointed that not all our treasured friends were at camp when we arrived, but that was quickly diminished by the warm greeting we received from new faces. Yallo was one of those faces. Though I decided to keep my mouth shut when we shared our first meal and he began opining about the upcoming American election, I instantly liked Yallo. We all did. He had an easy smile, a playful manner and we exchanged friendly banter over the next few interactions we shared. One meal, he was dishing out something yummy and I tried to sway him to dish up some extra for me by asking him whether Yallo meant "Wise One" in Swahili. He was fun to joke with. We were only at that camp two days, but he quickly became a treasured friend.

As easy-going a personality as he had, he also possessed a depth of wisdom that few his age have. The last night we were there, J-Life hosted a bbq/braii for us on their farm property. As we headed back to camp along a dark, rocky road, Yallo, another friend and I walked together. Yallo had a flashlight he used to light our way. How fitting, as that walk stands out most out of our short time together. We talked about our lives and how we each came to be there at that moment and he said, "It's just an honor to be part of what He's doing, really. You know? You could be anywhere, doing anything, but He has chosen you to be here."

Reading those words makes me cry today. That was so Yallo. And I believe God spoke through Yallo. I am so humbled by those words.

Upon returning home, we became Facebook friends and exchanged a few messages the last nine months. I considered him my "favorite Kenyan" because he was that cool and also because he was the only Kenyan I knew. I sent him a video link to John Mark McMillan's "How He Loves Us" because it just seemed like a song that would mean something to him. Ironically, McMillan speaks of how he wrote the song in response to a friend who died. His friend had prayed, "Lord, if it would shake the youth of the nation, I'd give my life." Yallo was one of those who gave his life while he lived it. I'm eager to see how God will continue to shake the youth of Kenya through his death.

Yallo thanked me for sending the video and filled me in on what was happening in Kenya. Though he was concerned about raising funds to operate, he wrote, "We are trusting God that we can move on and be all that God is calling us to be." That was Yallo. He was about the business of trusting God.

Yallo's "about me" on FB reads, "Teach, train and live in my generation with a passion for the unknown future."

Teach - Yallo, you taught me how to speak freely about my faith and infuse it into my everyday language. I'm still working on it, but that is what struck me most about you.

Train - You were the J-Life country leader for Kenya. Today, I mourn for Kenya as well. What a leader they have lost. However, I know that, despite your short time on earth, you affected a lot of lives. It's evidenced by the number of people who posted on your FB wall today. You poured yourself out to train others how to grow in the Lord./div>

Live in my generation - Yallo, you would've made an excellent candidate for the One Young World event for which you applied. In your own words, "Have schooled in Town schools, which is want gave me passion for youth, where i schooled, drugs, sex and abusive relationships were the order of the day, so as a result of all those stuff i had to make a choice on what i need to do in life. I decided to fight for the youth, Have seen so much pain sorrow and agony that we as the youth go through." Yallo, you fought valiantly for the youth of Africa.
Passion - Yallo, in the short walk back to camp from the braii, you exuded so much passion, I knew I wanted to be your friend for life. We all long to be the kind of person who lives out their beliefs.

Unknown future - Yallo, because you chose to trust Jesus as Lord of your life, you no longer have an unknown future. You are right there with God, where you will always securely be.

I found a video Yallo posted on his FB page. It's a Ray Boltz video of the song, "What If I Gave It All." I looked up the lyrics today and the words are so fitting with Yallo's obedience in following God..."We cannot close our eyes and turn away when we hear His Spirit call. We see the need. Now let Him hear us say, 'What if I give all? What if I give all?'

Yallo, you gave Him your all.

My friend, Jenn, tagged Yallo in some pics on FB last fall. One of her pictures of Yallo is captioned, "It was hard to say goodbye for us all." The next picture of Yallo continued, "but I'm sure we'll meet again!" Those words hold extra special meaning today.

And though I am heart broken today, I find peace in the knowledge that Yallo and I will again share meals together someday...at the Lord's banquet table. And I know we will again share conversations...along streets of gold. I am so looking forward to reuniting with you, my favorite Kenyan.

Lord, thank you for the gift you gave us in Yallo. Help me to live my life as fully and faithfully as Yallo did. Thank you for putting him in my life as an example. Lord, you are the God of Comfort and I pray that you pour out your peace on Yallo's loved ones, including those who loved him at J-Life. Guide them all in the days ahead.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...thank you for capturing the spirit of Yallo in this article..It brought tears to my eyes..But we do not mourn in ignorance, for he is at the feet of Christ. There is a group honouring his legacy on FB. It's called Yallo's Legacy. Please join and paste a link to this love;y story.
Rest in Peace Yallo
Sarah Ngamau

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Jen. Thanks for sharing the gift of Yallo with us who did not have the privilege of knowing him. What a legacy of God's light and love he left behind, what an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jen for saying it from your heart, i felt God describe His Son. Yallo,through you, We pray for Him and his family.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this.I remember him giving me instructions on facebook on how to vote for him on one young world.All the years i have known Yalo he always spoke love nothing judgemental nothing negative because he knew we were all in the Potters hands " a work in progress" my heart grieves though I am filled with beautiful memories and hope.love you my daddy
Jackie Kimani.

Melissa Stuff said...

Hey Jen, You have moved me tears this morning. I didn't think about you knowing Yallo, but I was moved this week by the situation as it occurred.

I know how much the J-Life guys meant to us this week, and can completely empathize with you.

Can't wait to catch up. Let me know when you want to get together.

Blessed Child said...

Thanks for Yallo's story, His foundation was launched recently here in Kenya. He is really Making Christ known..and that's is the foundation's motto

Grandeur Capital said...

I miss you and thank you, for revealing Christ to me.

Post a Comment