Friday, March 5, 2010

A Whole New World

At least four people asked me the other day if I'd gone out and bought pink.

Given that the news of our baby girl was less than 24 hours old, I had not. Plus, I figured I have nearly five months to stock up and money could be better spent elsewhere in the meantime.

I told Brian about it and he said I should go out and buy her first dress just for fun. He is so good about saying things like that and I was starting to warm up to the idea. Then a friend suggested I find something to bring her home from the hospital in and it was like that became my life mission.

At least for the day.

The sirens of all clothes pink began their sweet serenade, but I knew I wanted to maintain a level head about how much money to spend because we do have several consignment sales coming up. So, I casually headed to the nearest mall under the pretense that I was just browsing for some new maternity tops and, just maybe, I would have my first experience looking at girl clothes through the eyes of a girl mom-to-be.

I stopped in Motherhood Maternity before I made my way into baby Gap to "look at maternity clothes."

However, from the moment I stepped in, Gap's line of maternity clothes faded into the background and guess what heaven's light shone on instead.

Rows and rows of glorious PINK.

Ohhhh, the sirens can SANG!

Speaking of singing, I felt like Luther Vandross should've been singing the Hallelujah chorus as I walked into baby Gap. He would've done it all pepped up like he was so good at. I'm guessing maybe he is...in heaven...but I like to imagine him standing there in baby Gap greeting me with that song. Anyway, I guess Luther has been my companion through many emotional moments and I've just been feeling all EMOTIONAL since I found out about this girl.

And, apparently, my ability to stay on topic is also suffering from pregnancy given that I just devoted an entire paragraph to Luther in a post about girl clothes.

Anyway, I'm sure my eyes were bugging as I tried to take in all the cute outfits. I wanted to touch... Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

So now I can relate to my three year old when we walk through the toy aisle at Wal-mart. Nice.

I felt like I was floating as I held up little yellow sandals and oohed over their blue and white Porcelain collection. My eyes kept tearing up.

It was like Disney World on crack, except I was not listening to 300 animatronic children singing, "It's a Small World" in five languages while I was stuck on a boat going through a dark tunnel and there's really no chance I'm ever going to actually try crack.

I stopped at one rack where my eyes were drawn to one delicate ivory embroidered dress. It was so tiny and simple enough to be sweet. Here it is...(somebody cue Luther again)...

Oh, my breath was taken away and the tears started building.

Then again, maybe it was the $34.50 price tag that got me...

Holy cow, girls are not cheap!

Maybe I need to try crack after all. Selling it, I mean.

3 comments:

Gina said...

A GIRL?????? yaaayyyyyyyy! I'm so happy for you :) You are going to make a gohhhhhjus (gorgeous :)) girl

Danielle said...

Sooooo excited! So, so, excited for you. Teared up reading your post-hehe. My "girl" is dancing around the kitchen in a frilly pink skirt she has insisted wearing today. :-) Such fun, such sweetness.

Susie Bibb said...

Jenn...I just gave you a blog award... Check it out! ;) www.laundrywoes.com

Post a Comment