Friday, July 24, 2009

Point of Grace, Anyone?

Noah loves playing with Brian's Zune and, I kid you not, has put together his own playlist. One of the first things he does every morning is slip in front of the computer and start up his playlist. His set includes music from Dashboard Confessional, Kingdom Kidz, Iron and Wine, Guns N' Roses, LeCrae, The Police, The Wiggles, Michael Jackson and some Aggie Band hits. Quite a mix of genres, I know. And, if he hears a song on the radio and likes it, he makes sure to let Brian know he wants this on "mine CD."

His current favorites are the Black Eyed Peas' Boom Boom Pow and Soulja Boy's Turn My Swagg On. Aside from never guessing I'd be double checking hip hop lyrics online when my son was four, I'm starting to think all this hip hop listening is affecting him in other ways.

You'll have to excuse the floor that clearly needs sweeping due to, oh, I don't know, children and just plain living, but I walked into the kitchen to discover Noah doing this...

Seeing as how we don't watch music videos and he's not seeing these dance moves online, I have no idea where he picked this up. Unless it's just a natural thing to throw yourself on the floor and spin around as a result of listening to hip hop. I think I saw my Dad do this a time or two when I was a rebellious teen listening to Tu Pac and Warren G and he was trying to get me to listen to Point of Grace instead. He doesn't really go for music where the words are indistinguishable or questionable even when they are distinguishable. Or, maybe the internet wasn't in every household back then and he didn't have a way to double check the lyrics that were pouring into his daughter's tender ears.

It's apparent Noah inherited a special place in his heart for music you can dance to. And I don't blame him for that. But now that I've got his tender ears I'm responsible for, I'm desperately trying to figure out how to convince him that Point of Grace has some poppin' beats in their music, too. Maybe "Steady On" is something you'd sleep instead of breakdance to, but I'm pretty sure I won't have to double check lyrics to "Jesus Will Still Be There" and "God Is With Us."

And that might free up my time so I can get back to sweeping.

3 comments:

Country Asian Guy said...

Try giving the boy a dose of Pillar. They're a Christian rock band and lay down some pretty sick beats along with a good message. I'm sure he can get down with that. Either that or go old school with the boy and give him a shot of Kirk Franklin. Or you can do the old Bing Crosby and hit him with a sack of Valencia oranges. It won't leave a bruise and it'll show him who's boss. Love y'all!

Melissa Stuff said...

Have you tried toby Mac - we listened to him in Africa and the kids loved dancing to his beats!

Country Asian Guy said...

Skillet. Kind of a favorite band now. I especially like "Hero" off of their new album, Awake.

By the way, has his hair grown back in?

Post a Comment