Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mr. Sandman...Bring Me An Espresso...

There are few things worse than pregnancy fatigue.

Except pregnancy fatigue combined with jet lag.

Oh my word.

Somebody give me an amen.

My teammates in South Africa kept commenting how they couldn't believe how much energy I had for it to be my first trimester. I made it until Thursday before I had to start going to bed before everyone else and, even then, I was able to do VBS the next day and forge through the remaining days until I got on the plane and headed home. Honestly, God sustained me and gave me the supernatural ability to make it through that week as well as I did. There is no other explanation.

Because now...NOW, I AM FEELING THE SLEEP.

At the beginning of the week, I dismissed it as really bad jet lag. I mainly slept the first leg of my flight instead of the second, so it was natural to be tired. But, man, I've been home six days and the reality has set in...

I'm pregnant.

And, dang, I'm tired!

My poor guys probably think I'm still back in South Africa, as I disappear for hours at a time once I lay down. Even when I wake, it takes me an hour or more to fully come alive. I drift in and out of sleep, all the while hearing my boys playing and feeling the need to get up and make their dinner.

And, yet, I guess all the good mothering intentions are not strong enough to battle THE SLEEP because I drift off into slumber again for at least the next 60 or 127 minutes.

Tonight, I decided to reassure my family I was still among the living when I first woke. I didn't have the strength to get up, so I decided to pass on a loving message from bed. I yelled, "I'M AWAKE!"

Twice.

Unfortunately, the speakers and the Wii were turned too high for anyone to acknowledge my attempt to reach out to the living. I thought about adding, "I'M ALIVE!" but then I fell asleep before I could muster up the energy.

Holy cow, come on second trimezzz...trimest...zzz...tri...zzz.....................

1 comment:

baby therapy said...

funny as always :) I forgot how tiring it really was in the first trimester!

Post a Comment