Saturday, April 18, 2009

Because of Scottish Rite Children's Hospital

Friday was a big day in our household. A day I will always remember and Noah will always forget. Mostly due to the anesthestic and the happy juice they gave him. Friday, Noah had his first surgery.

And I survived, too, bless your heart for worrying about me.

About a year ago, Brian was tracing the boys' hands for a card for me (melt with me over that one). He started tracing Noah's hand and asked him to straighten his thumb as he outlined it. Noah couldn't get it out of it's cocked position so Brian gave it a go, but it would not budge. Not a bit. Brian asked why he couldn't straighten it and Noah casually explained, "That's just the way God made me, Daddy." (Melt with me over that one, too).

You know, we'd actually noticed the crooked thumb long before, but had always assumed he just couldn't maneuver his Gig 'Em all the way right. Three year olds are still working on that thing called coordination (Unfortunately, as am I. Step Aerobics would like me to stick to aerobics and not bother with the step, it's that bad) so we just assumed he would eventually get it. Imagine the guilt we felt when we finally really noticed it and took him to his pediatrician where we learned that the crooked Gig 'Em was really a trigger thumb (swollen sheath around a tendon) and it was so severe, she recommended surgery because it wouldn't get better on its own. She said a lot of things, but here's what I heard...

Trigger thumb...blah, blah. Surgery...Not a problem now...blah, blah...surgery...but will affect writing later...blah, blah, blah...

SURGERY.

For My Boy.

As I absorbed the notion and tried not to cry (while also keeping Tyler out of the shiny-metal-ooh-it-has-a-step-pedal-for-my-feet-I-want-to-touch-it-several-times-while-my-germaphobic-mommy-dry-heaves trash can) the doctor slipped out of the room to follow up on an idea she had. When she returned, she said she'd been able to get us into Scottish Rite Children's Hospital, home of the best pediatric hand surgeons in the area. And, by so doing, she introduced me to a whole new reason to be thankful I live in America.

Dallas, you thought we had it good with J.R. Ewing and Southfork Ranch! BTW, I've been on their grand tour...which would have been especially exciting if I'd ever laid eyes on even one episode of Dallas. I got curious and just reading a blurb about J.R. on Wikipedia makes me want to take a swig of Noah's codeine. Oh, my word. Read just one paragraph from another Wikipedia entry and see what I mean...

"Before Jock's death, Sue Ellen Ewing left J.R., taking John Ross to live at the Southern Cross Ranch near San Angelo, TX, the home of her new boyfriend, rodeo cowboy Dusty Farlow. In an attempt to steal back John Ross, J.R. took Miss Ellie on a visit, where she first met Dusty's father, Clayton Farlow. Later she and Clayton settled a problem caused by J.R. involving Clayton's refineries. When Clayton helped Sue Ellen as she reconciled with J.R., he and Miss Ellie became friendly and eventually started dating. In 1984, two years after Jock's death, Miss Ellie married Clayton Farlow, despite the attempts of J.R. and Clayton's sister, Jessica Montfort, to stop the wedding."

I think I need me some codeine to recover from that blurb. Because all I just got was, "blah, blah, rodeo cowboy...blah, blah, dating...blah, blah, wedding."

And a headache. Thus, the codeine.

Anyway, back to my original point. Because Dallas doesn't really qualify as a reason that America Rocks. Unless you are someone's wonderful mother-in-law who shall remain nameless.

No, Dallas, you've got something way better than J.R. Ewing in 357 episodes* of pure destruction, terror and mayhem. You've got Scottish Rite Children's Hospital and it is AMAZING! In the 1920's, a group of Masons approached a doctor about treating polio patients regardless of their ability to pay. That idea bloomed to eventually include treatment for children affected by other orthopedic ailments. To date, they have treated over 180,000 Texas youngsters. 180,000 of Someone's Boy or Girl. ALL AT NO COST. All because of the generosity of people in the community. Not because of some bloated, poorly managed government program funded by tax payers. Solely because of the hearts of ordinary citizens who give out of the kindness of their altruistic hearts.

Where else but America?

Friday was a big day in our household. It was a day I'll never forget and one I want Noah and Tyler to learn about. I want them to hear about the generosity of people who provided Noah not only paid-for quality care, but also provided a hospital that is truly kid-oriented with its bright murals and free popcorn. These people know how to go all-out in loving kids. Noah went into the O.R. with a handmade Raggedy Andy doll (Brian would say stuffed animal), three Cars stickers and sporting a ski-themed gown. Pretty good set-up for a four year old, I'd say.

And I just can't say enough about the staff. I lost count of how many people tended to him in the O.R. and in post-op, but each approached Noah with soft, kind voices and gentle tickles. All spoke directly to him and made him feel special even as they explained the procedure to us. Each chose their words carefully so that Noah wouldn't have to hear words like "shot," "pain," "scared" or "throw up." They were very keen to what kids pick up on and how to put kids as much at ease as possible. Words matter and they were very gifted at choosing words that championed Noah instead of causing him anxiety. Where else can you not only find privately funded, quality healthcare, but also servantly motivated, quality attention?

No where else but America.

I hope my boys not only learn compassion and the blessing of giving, but that they learn to be grateful that they live in America. Because if every person could spend just a few days in Africa, for example, they would quickly learn that we have it really, really good here. Recession and all. And not just in terms of material possessions, but in terms of opportunity. I pray they appreciate that and those who live and sometimes die to give them that opportunity. We are truly, truly blessed here and I am grateful.

Plumb grateful. Two thumbs up grateful.

*J.R. Ewing is the only character to appear in all 357 episodes of the series. That's a lot of cheatin', rodeoin' and lyin' if you ask me. Except don't ask me because I haven't seen a single one of those 357 episodes.

2 comments:

Country Asian Guy said...

I'm glad to live in a great country too. And by great country, I'm referring to Texas! *America's not too shabby either* Glad to hear that Noah's trigger thumb is going to be alright. And glad to hear that there's docs out there that truly care about children's futures. Look forward to seeing y'all in a few days. Give Noah an extra big hug from me. Love you.

Gina said...

Yeah! Noah is better! So glad you had a positive experience with hospitals! You know, America is a great place. You should have seen the hospital Ravi was in when he got burned in India one summer. No working toilet in his room! You would think this shouldn't be happening in a hospital! We are really lucky!

Post a Comment