Thursday, April 9, 2009

I Can See Clearly Now...Except In Daylight

I'm letting my parents' dog entertain my boys while I stop to tell you I made my first trip to the eye doctor in more than a little while. It was either sport my three year old glasses out in public or pony up and buy some new contacts. I love Dr. Alan Upchurch of Alpha Optical. He served with me in South Africa on my first mission trip and treated the people there with such kindess, grace and gentleness, I knew I wanted to support his work here. Which might actually be a thoughtful gesture if I went to the eye doctor more than once every three years.

Anyway, I had the lovely experience of pupil dilation and they have this new thing called reverse dilation. Which, I was all over that because who wants to drive around town with their most precious cargo, all while wearing those huge shades they give you and while not being able to focus clearly? The nurse did give me fair warning that my eyes would be red for awhile. However, I didn't realize my eyes would still be sporting that bloodshot look (and still be dilated) when I went to watch Noah do his Easter egg hunt. I felt the need to either avoid all eye contact with other parents (which meant smiling pleasantly at the ground because I guess crazy is a little better than snobby) or to explain very loudly to Noah's teachers that I'd just been to the eye doctor and had not, in fact, spent my day drinking the hours away. Though between the red eyes and the whoozy feeling from my pupils being abnormally large, I may as well have had a little fun. (Just kidding, water is free and non fat, thank you very much).

Needless to say, I also didn't expect that after such an overcast morning, me and my newly dilated pupils would walk out to the brightest sunshine you can imagine. Yes, I planned that one well.

So, now I'm safely home with my precious cargo. Except that watching them chase and torture my parents' 12 year old, 10 lb. dog somehow makes them a little less precious. Thank you, First Learning teachers, for strategically planning those egg hunts and parties for the hour before they return home to their parents. My parents' dog would like to thank you as well.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Ok, so I can totally imagine you doing the things you write about. Like the crazy staring at the ground! Ha. Don't you hate dilation! any kind, actually. Pretty much if something on your body is dilating, things are probably going to get painful or annoying, or make you look like a loon!

Post a Comment