Thursday, October 29, 2009

Just Another Manic Thursday

Part Uno

I chose the most humid, windy day to get my driver's license renewed.

Incidentally, when did they start calling organ donation an "anatomical gift?" Creepy.

After spending some extra time getting ready because, you know, these things are part of your life for six whole years, I walked out of the house to about the thickest humidity and wind combination you can imagine for October.

I'm still trying to figure out this concept called "plan ahead."

I have a feeling I'm going to regret my lack of foresight when I get my new dl in about six weeks and I look like Nick Nolte's long lost love child.

For the next six years. Awesome.

Little known fact that he got passed up for the role of Han Solo. That went to Harrison Ford instead. But maybe he was the hair inspiration for Chewbacca, so I guess he didn't really lose out in the end. Chewbacca rocks.

Anyway, I walked in to the DMV to find that, GLORY BE, I was first in line. I'm not sure what was the greater shock: that the DMV was line-free or that I got somewhere before anyone else did.

As I stood at the front of the line, I glanced around and noticed a bathroom. I then had to wrestle with the question of whether one last mirror check was worth risking my place in line. Since no one else followed me in, I decided to tempt fate and walked into the bathroom to see about a mirror.

And one glance in that mirror affirmed my decision to check things out. Glory be, it is amazing what walking through a blanket of humidity will do to your hair.

It was then that I saw in the reflection a hand dryer...

The fates then turned the tables and decided to tempt me. And, I, the girl who is lucky to walk out of the house with matching shoes and, I, the girl who applies make up at stoplights, found myself feeling a little self conscious about being hair twins with Chewbacca the next six years.

So, I eyed the faucet, then eyed the dryer and then the faucet again.

Well, you know what I did.

Oh yes I did.

I took that glorious stream of water and ran my fingers through my hair to get it just damp enough to work with. It was like my own little Regis Salon, only with a commode just feet from me. And the possibility of being caught in my embarrassing state of vanity if another person walked in.

But, there turned out to be enough risk taker in me and, after some hurried primping, I walked out to find that in about two short minutes, I was suddenly the third person in line. And, though there were employees buzzing all around, that is one place where a lot seems to be going on, but nothing productive appears to be happening.

Sort of like my daily routine as a Mom. Sometimes I feel like I couldn't be busier, but then I look around and wonder what the heck I've accomplished.

Anyway, who knows what my hair did before I actually got to the front of the line and had my picture snapped. We'll see in a few weeks, I guess.

Well, I will. There's a high probability you never will.

Unless we are trying to one-up each other in who looks most like a Star Wars character in their ID.

In which case I win. And I have the photo to prove it.

Part Dos

I had it in my mind that I had some shopping to do that same day. Thursdays are my best errand days since the boys are in school. I had a couple of stops to make before going to a local grocery store's going out of business sale. I was tempted to go home, though, when the downpour that brought on all that humidity finally arrived mid-morning and left me with little ability to see very far. Once I made the mad dash to my car, I hurried to roll down my windows to clear them, wiped my mirrors and used the back of my hand to wipe my windshield so I could see through the fogged up window. I nearly re-parked, though, when I realized I could barely see. I had never seen it rain so hard I couldn't even see the road right in front of me. Glory be, it was bad.

It was then that I finally realized I didn't have my wipers on.

You know, the things you turn on FIRST when trying to see through rain.

I think the fates came back and taunted me for giving in to their earlier temptation at the DMV.

Nonetheless, I made it to the grocery store, where I saved 71%, but also stocked up on things I am not sure I would normally buy.

I was, however, excited to score a great deal on some dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, etc.) Until I noticed the Use By date was January.

2009.

Nine months ago.

Glory be. I think I see why they went out of business.

Part Tres

Picked the boys up from school only to learn that Tyler had found other "activities" to pursue during nap time. His teacher told me four of the kids, Tyler and three girls, were placed in one area for nap time. Somehow, all four ended up with their heads in the same corner where all their nap mats met. His teacher then noticed that Tyler was stroking all three of the girls' hair and giving kisses to one little classmate, Julia. It's like he has a harem now.

And when I think harem, I no longer think "Casanova."

I think..."Hugh Hefner."

Glory be.

4 comments:

Country Asian Guy said...

I got four words for you:

P-I-M-P!

Pimping ain't easy!

Kim said...

oh, i think tyler is going to be fun during the teen years! :) glory be! :) ha!

Gina said...

I love part one! I could imagine you doing it! You know I would never be caught dead primping in a public bathroom...I know, I'm weird. And as far as the harem goes. Did he take part of thier lunch money? Any good pimp would you know :)

Anonymous said...

Great post, great writer!

Danielle

Post a Comment