Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Feel the Need...to Read

I need to start a reading list because I keep coming across books I want to check out and then I forget them.

So, here's my reading list so far...

Baking Cakes in Kilgali
Man's Search For Meaning
The Hole in Our Gospel
The Blue Parakeet
Crazy Love - have read portions of it and listened to Chan's podcasts, but ready to read the thing!

I like books that challenge how I live out my faith. Specifically, I love books on missions or any topic that challenges me to think outside myself and my comfort zone.

I also love books set in Africa. Me and Jerry Maquire love us some...well, you know.

In fact, if you're looking for an incredible true story about Rwanda, I highly recommend Left To Tell. It's one of my all-time favorites. Amazing. I was in high school in 1994, worrying about making district in swimming and passing Pre-Cal while this woman witnessed her friends slaughtered and hid out for 91 days in a cramped bathroom.

So, if you've read any good books you could hardly put down, could you please comment and help me add to my reading list?

The Shack has been a best seller but I'm not sure it really hooked me. Did it start that way for you? Should I restart it? Is it sound material or bogus?

And while Francine Rivers and Dr. Seuss are some of my favorite authors, I think I'd mostly like to stick to nonfiction for now.

And I'm gonna add right now...I'm not really dying to sink my teeth into any vampire books, so no Edward Cullen for me.

Yet.

4 comments:

Gina said...

definitely reading left to tell!

Kelley said...

Girl Meets God; Real Sex (both by Lauren Winner)
Lost Women of the Bible; The Gospel of Ruth (both by Carolyn Custis James)
As We Forgive (Catherine Claire Larson)- based on the documentary about Rwanda
Leading Women Who Wound (Sue Edwards & Kelley Mathews) -- J/J!!

Melissa Stuff said...

Kaffir Boy - is about S. Africa during Apartheid. It's not Christian but it's moving. And I know you already have a heart for that.

Did you see my status about "Faith Like Potatoes" - it's a movie not a book. But it was incredibly challenging, and they probably have a book as well.

Country Asian Guy said...

Beyond Tells: The Psychology of Poker.

Okay, not really. I just wanted to have a post on here too. Love you.

Post a Comment